Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Lakers Split to Open Season

Lakers Split to Open Season

DUNDALK, MD – The Finger Lakes Community College Baseball team opened their season on Saturday with a doubleheader split against the CCBC-Dundalk Lions. The host Lions took the first game 9-5, but the Lakers rallied to win game 2 6-1.

Game 1 saw the Lakers fall behind early. Down 1-0 in the second, Finger Lakes was able to get runners on the corners after Matt Weinberg and Braxton Wilson each collected their first collegiate hits. They would be stranded however to end the inning. The Lions would add eight more runs and carry a 9-0 into the final inning. The Lakers bats would wake up though. The inning would start with a walk by Jay Perry. One batter later Max Franzone and Matt Horne would walk to load the bases. Perry and Franzone would be driven in on a single by Kenny Urbanik. Weinberg would be hit by the pitch to once again load the bases, this time for Kane Shaw. The freshman hit a line drive past the first baseman and down the right field line for a two-run double in his first collegiate at bat. Evan Santiago, pinch running for Weinberg, would score on a wild pitch, but the Lions would get the next two Laker batters to end the game with Dundalk winning 9-5.

Max Franzone collected two hits and scored a run for the Lakers in his first game. Kenny Urbanik and Kane Shaw each drove in a pair of runs for Finger Lakes. Brandon Anderson got the start on the mound, taking the loss. He went four innings, allowing two runs on four hits. Anderson struck out three Lions.

Finger Lakes did not wait until the last inning to score in Game 2. Max Franzone would reach on catchers interference to start the game. He would be moved over on a bunt by Danny D'Eletto and score a batter later. Kenny Urbanik would come home on a Ryan Juergens double and the Lakers would lead 2-0 after a half of an inning. Dundalk would get one back in the bottom of the frame, but Finger Lakes would answer right back. Evan Santiago would get his first collegiate hit and score on a double off the right field wall by Franzone. A pair of walks would load the bases. Franzone would be brought home when Matt Weinberg was hit by the pitch. 

Starting pitcher Kevin Close would keep the Lions at bay and minimize any threats. The Lakers would pad their lead in the seventh inning. Max Franzone would lead off the inning with a walk. Then with one out, Kenny Urbanik would start a hitting run for the Lakers. Him, Weinberg, Juergens, and Marc Peterson would hit four straight singles. Weinberg would drive one in and Peterson would get the other RBI. Close would close the door in the bottom of the inning, ending the game with a strikeout for a 6-1 Laker win.

Freshmen Ryan Juergens and Marc Peterson each finished with two hits and an RBI for the Lakers. Matt Weinberg drove in a pair of runs and Max Franzone hit a double for Finger Lakes. Kevin Close went the distance for the Lakers on the mound. He allowed only one run and struck out four Dundalk batters.

Finger Lakes continues their spring trip on Sunday with a doubleheader at Prince George's Community College. First pitch from Kettering, Maryland is scheduled for 1pm.