Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Finger Lakes Splits with Prince George's

Finger Lakes Splits with Prince George's

LARGO, MD -- The Finger Lakes Men's Baseball team split with Prince George's Community College on Sunday. The Lakers fell in Game 1, 1-0, but bounced back in Game 2 with a 5-2 win. The Lakers remain .500 on the young season with a 2-2 record.

Kevin Carpentier came out firing for the Lakers. He recorded four of the first five outs via the strikeout before having to eventually leave the game due to cramping. Finger Lakes loaded the bases in the third inning. With one out, Max Franzone, Danny D'Eletto, and Kenny Urbanik all walked. The Owls were able to strand the runners and the game would remain scoreless. Ryan Landers came in relief for the Lakers and threw well in his first college appearance. He would hold the Owls off balance and keep Finger Lakes in the game. Prince George's would push across an unearned run in the fourth inning and they would hold the Lakers scoreless the rest of the game, securing the 1-0 win for the Owls.

Carpentier, Landers, Sean Nudd, and Nick Dolbear would go for the Lakers on the mound. They combined to allow only 3 hits against the Owls. Kane Shaw singled and stole a base for the Lakers.

Prince George's would come out fast and score two runs in the first inning of Game 2. Kenny Urbanik would lead off the second inning with a single to left centerfield, and then moved to second on a bobble by the outfielder. He would move to third on a flyball and score on a double to right centerfield by Jay Perry. It was Perry's first collegiate hit. Perry would then steal third base and score when the catcher threw the ball away and the game was tied at 2-2. Starter Derick Fera would make sure the momentum stayed with the Lakers when he would strike out the side in the bottom of the second inning.

Cameron Heasley would start off the third reaching on an error. Kane Shaw would follow that with a bunt single. They would both be driven in when a Danny D'Eletto hit would hit third base and kick past the third baseman, scoring two. With the lead, Finger Lakes would not hold back. Fera would only allow three hits over his five innings of work, and only one after the first inning. He would also strike out six Owl batters. Finger Lakes would add an insurance run in the sixth when Elliot Austin would draw a walk with the bases loaded. Nick Dolbear would come in to pitch the sixth inning and get two strikeouts for the hold. Kane Shaw pitched the seventh for the save of a 5-2 Finger Lakes victory.

Shaw finished Game 2 with a single and a triple, to go along with his save. Kenny Urbanik also added two hits for the Lakers. It was the fourth time in Fera's career that he would allow three hits in at least five innings of work. The save for Shaw was the first of his career.

Finger Lakes will play Lackawanna College on Monday at the Cal Ripken Experience in Aberdeen, Maryland. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 1pm.