Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Lacrosse Defeats Mohawk Valley 12-8

Lacrosse Defeats Mohawk Valley 12-8

SYRACUSE, NY -- The Finger Lakes Lacrosse team defeated Region III foe Mohawk Valley Community College 12-8 on Wednesday night. Due to field conditions, the game was played on the turf at Onondaga Community College.

With the win, Finger Lakes improves to 3-1 on the season. They also leveled their Region III record at 1-1. The Hawks are now 0-2 in regional play. Finger Lakes will return to action on Thursday, March 26 as they travel to Herkimer to take on the Generals at 5pm.

Taylor Spike led the Lakers with four goals and a pair of assists. Alex Stull also recorded a hat trick. Matthew Hall scored a pair of goals and added two assists. Also scoring for the Lakers was Cody Richardson, Corey Grace, and Austin Laine. Matt Spoor made 12 saves in net for the Lakers.

Mohawk Valley struck first on Wednesday, scoring just a minute into the game. Finger Lakes would answer however with flurry. They scored three goals in 1:17 to take the lead. Spike set up Richardson for the first goal and scored himself for the second. Matt Hall capped the run for Finger Lakes. The Hawks added a goal but Taylor Spike closed the first quarter with two goals to give Finger Lakes a 5-2 advantage after the first.

Once again, Mohawk Valley scored the first goal of the quarter, taking the opening faceoff and finding the back of the net 17 seconds into the second. Finger Lakes answered with a pair of goals by Stull and Laine midway through the quarter. That was all the scoring as the Lakers took a 7-3 lead into halftime. 

The third quarter was all Mohawk Valley. The Hawks scored three goals to get back into the game and held the Lakers off the scoreboard. Finger Lakes maintained a one-goal advantage, leading 7-6, going into the fourth quarter.

Finger Lakes put the game away in the fourth quarter. Stull, Grace and Hurd all scored in the opening minutes to push the lead up to 10-6. The Hawks answered with one, but that was followed by goals by Stull and Spike as the Lakers continued on to the 12-8 victory.